Pages

TOPIC CATEGORIES

Monday, January 22, 2018

Home Sweet Home - but omg, what happened to this blog?

I've not been home for most of the last two years. And I won't be home for at least one more. So when I got here just a few days ago - for a short "vacation," I couldn't help but be amazed with the beauty of this place. The drive from Texas to Utah felt short as I listened to a couple of my favorite podcasters. Those recordings motivated me to get back on track with my blogging.



After I got home, I got online to see where I had left off of my blogging. I cringed when I went to this blog and realized I hadn't posted in almost two years!!  Where have I been? What have I been doing? Why did I neglect this blog so long?

"Life" happened, beginning with the death of a 2-month old grandchild. Between playing "granny" to grandkids in Missouri and Texas, and supporting various close family members with their own catastrophes, I neglected this blog.

While there are logical,compelling explanations for my neglect of this blog, rather than dwell on the past, I''m gonna look forward and take it from here.

First, I need to finish up my permaculture series that I started here. While I've been remiss in posting, I have not stopped doing what I can to increase my knowledge and skills related to sustainable living via permaculture principles.

Second, I need to show examples of what I have done. Since I was far from Utah, I have channeled my energies into beautifying other people's properties. I learned a lot from these experiences, maybe even enough to start a business.

Third, I need to get back on track to post on this blog.

Currently, my husband and I are living with our son and grandson. In order to make mom "happy," my son recently rented a home with a whole TWO ACRES of land in Kerrville, Texas, the heart of the Texas Hill Country. And the owner has pretty much given us the go-ahead to do whatever we want as long as it's done tastefully.

But before getting started at the new place, I felt a need to return to Utah to inventory my seeds and supplies. Hell, I even needed to grab some winter clothing since I've resisted spending money on this in Kerrville cause their winters are so short.

My brother, Javier, has done an impressive job keeping the Utah property clean and productive. And he's taken the initiative of adding more chickens to our paradise.


The chickens are happy and producing lots of super healthy eggs.



He's kept up with the painting and cleaning and gardening. And I'm so grateful for all the help he got from his girlfriend and her family.

I had considered selling our Utah place to move to Texas to be closer to my son and grandson. But after coming back and seeing the breathtaking views from my Utah home, I don't think I'll be selling!



Instead, I'm leaning more toward creating two sustainable permaculture dwellings. After all, if tragedy were to occur in any one place, having another place - equally productive - is a really great preparedness tactic.

I want to now recognize a couple of people that have inspired me to get moving. Jack Spirko from TheSurvivalPodcast.com has been an incredible source of education and inspiration. Anyone who wants to make a positive change in their life should check out his amazing podcasts.

Another podcaster that I've recently found is Diego Footer. On his Permaculture Voices podcast, Diego interviews permaculturists ("permies") who are turning their passions into money. Diego asks these entrepreneurs really great questions. What an opportunity to get business info right from the people who are on the field running businesses!!

I have tons of ideas on what to do. But as Jack Spriko says, everyone has ideas, but acting on those ideas is what matters. And I love how Diego Footer ends his podcasts, "Be nice, be thankful, and do the work." 

Words to live by as I collect my thoughts to plan a strategy to live a more fulfilled life.

No comments:

Post a Comment