Pages

TOPIC CATEGORIES

Saturday, June 6, 2020

My Chickens

I recently moved from Utah to Texas and moved my 12 chickens with me.  They are pairs of various breeds.

The recent world chaos opened my eyes to the need to have a rooster, so I have been free ranging my chickens with four neighborhood beautiful roosters which seem to be of good breeds, though I do not know the breeds.

An uncle told me four roosters for 12 chickens is way too many, so as of today, 6/6/2020, I will restrict rooster access of my chickens to only one rooster at a time.

Below I am listing the types of chickens I know I have.  There is a good yellow chicken breed as well, though I do not recall what it is, but they are all great layers.

I have never bred chickens before but I'm reasonably sure all the eggs are fertile.  So I purchased an incubator and have been hatching chicks.

My expertise in chicken breeding is in its infancy but my goal is to get as many chickens to as many neighbors as possible to help them be sustainable.

Having chickens has a myriad of benefits to reach that end.

Here is a list of the chickens I do know I have which have been breeding with good roosters since they got to Texas.

Ameraucanas - blue egg layers, often referred to as easter egg layers.



These beautiful birds lay blue-tinged eggs.




Brahamas - Gorgeous big birds.



Austrothorp




Leghorn




Here is a fun vid I took in Utah which shows some of the chickens we brought to Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvqgesnOJhY






No comments:

Post a Comment